The University of Washington, 1410 NE Campus Parkway, Seattle, WA 98195
Canlis Restaurant, 2576 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109
Bud and Adele Burnett House, 3717 E Prospect St, Seattle, WA 98112
Burnett Brothers Jewelers Store, 1316 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
Ernst and Marie Levy House, 2129 NE 55th St, Seattle, WA 98105
Frank Preston House, 745 McGilvra Blvd E, Seattle, WA 98112
Harry S. and Mary Brown House, 250 145th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98007
Husky Den and ballroom additions, Husky Union Building, 4001 E Stevens Way NE, Seattle, WA 98195
Jarvis A. Stixrood House, 8226 SE 41st St, Mercer Island, WA 98040
Jay Jacobs Residence, 849 Hillside Dr E, Seattle, WA 98112
John Clinton Denman, Sr. and Edna Jean Gieselman House, 14845 SE 55th St, Bellevue, WA 98006
Lysle A. Woods House, 6604 Upland Terrace S, Seattle, WA 98118
Martin Rind House, 3473 106th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98004
Millie Mayer House, 1353 E Boston St, Seattle, WA 98112
Monte E. Brown House, 338 39th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112
Paul Smith Remodel, 350 McGilvra Blvd E, Seattle, WA 98112
Richard Weisfield House, 2563 Magnolia Blvd W, Seattle, WA 98199
Skiers Chapel, Snoqualmie Summit, Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068
Tall's 5th Avenue, 1409 5th Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
Thunderbird Restaurant, Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068
Webb Moffett House, 3767 E John St, Seattle, WA 98112
William MacLane House, 2402 Delmar Dr E, Seattle, WA 98102
3855 51st Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105
9830 47th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98136
6914 W Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA 98040
12139 Shorewood Dr SW, Burien, WA 98146
Bert Atherton Tucker (July 11, 1910 - October, 1983) was an American architect. One of Lionel Pries' students, Robert Shields, became not only a successful architect but also a talented watercolorist, designer, and ceramic artist. In 1946, after serving in the US Navy during WWII, he joined forces with another gay architect, Roland Terry, as well as Bert Tucker. Together, the three men helped to establish a Northwest aesthetic in regional architecture, partially influenced by Pries' knowledge and collecting of Asian art and antiques.
Born on July 11, 1910 in Washington D.C., Bert Atherton Tucker was raised in Seattle and graduated from the University of Washington with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English (1931), and Bachelor’s degree in Architecture (1940). While still attending school, Tucker worked as a draftsman for architect J.M. Taylor Jr. Upon graduation, he moved to Bremerton and began working for Barry & Kenneth Branch, the largest architectural firm on the Kitsap peninsula.
At the age of 35, in 1946, Tucker established a practice with fellow University of Washington graduates Robert Shields and Roland Terry. The talented young firm focused primarily on residential designs for a cross-section of clients from professionals to Seattle’s budding creative class. Among the firm’s most notable projects during this early period is the W.E. Warren House (1949), the Zoe Dusanne House (1949), the Mayer House (1950), the Burnett Brothers Jewelers Store (1951), and Canlis Restaurant (1951)—all located in Seattle. The Bud Burnett House (1949) in the Broadmoor area, built on stilts into a hillside, was so forward thinking that it continued to be featured as an example of good design in many architectural magazines some 15 years after it was built, and brought the firm many new commissions.
After Terry left the partnership to establish his own firm in 1951, Tucker & Shields continued their collaboration until 1962. Still focusing primarily on residential designs, many of their homes were featured in national home building and design magazines such as Sunset and Popular Homes.
Many of the firm’s projects can be found in Seattle and on the east side communities of Lake Washington. The most notable examples include the Moffett House (1954) in Seattle, the Brown House (1961) in Bellevue, the Denman House (1957) in the Hilltop neighborhood, the Rind House (1961) and the Hayter House in Issaquah (1956).
Tucker passed away in Seattle in October of 1983.
My published books:
BACK TO HOME PAGE