Morris Graves House, 10830 Wachusett Rd, Woodway, WA 98020
Canlis, 2576 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109
Monte E. Brown House, 338 39th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112
Martin Rind House, 3473 106th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98004
John Clinton Denman, Sr. and Edna Jean Gieselman House, 14845 SE 55th St, Bellevue, WA 98006
Harry S. and Mary Brown House, 250 145th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98007
Jarvis A. Stixrood House, 8226 SE 41st St, Mercer Island, WA 98040
6914 W Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA 98040
Skiers Chapel, Snoqualmie Summit, Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068
Thunderbird Restaurant, Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068
Millie Mayer House, 1353 E Boston St, Seattle, WA 98112
The Husky Den and ballroom, 4001 E Stevens Way NE, Seattle, WA 98195
William MacLane House, 2402 Delmar Dr E, Seattle, WA 98102
Richard Weisfield House, 2563 Magnolia Blvd W, Seattle, WA 98199
Paul Smith House, 350 McGilvra Blvd E, Seattle, WA 98112
Lysle A. Woods House, 6604 Upland Terrace S, Seattle, WA 98118
Burnett Brothers Jewelers Store, 1316 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
Tall's 5th Avenue, 1409 5th Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
3855 51st Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Ernst and Marie Levy House, 2129 NE 55th St, Seattle, WA 98105
Robert Shields (April 24, 1917 - July 1, 2012) was an architect. "One of the Grand Old Men in Northwest Architecture" was how Pacific Northwest Magazine referred to Robert McKay Shields in 1986.
Robert McKay Shields was born in Rexburg, Idaho, although his family moved to Seattle when he was young. He was the son of Ernest Shields and Mona Choquette. He graduated from Garfield High School in 1936, and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. A graduate of the University of Washington's School of Architecture in 1941, his work helped develop the regional version of Modernism that has been called the "Northwest Style" of architecture.
After WWII, Ward Corley came to Seattle for an unknown reason, and slowly became part of Seattle's gay artistic circles. He was briefly involved with architect Robert Shields and later had a longterm relationship with Monte Edgar Brown, whose house Shields designed in 1951.
Shields, one of Lionel Pries' students, became not only a successful architect but also a talented watercolorist, designer, and ceramic artist. In 1946, after serving in the US Navy during WWII, he joined forces with another gay architect, Roland Terry, as well as Bert Tucker. Together, the three men helped to establish a Northwest aesthetic in regional architecture, partially influenced by Pries' knowledge and collecting of Asian art and antiques.
From 1946 to 1951 Bob was a partner with Bert Tucker and Roland Terry in Tucker, Shields & Terry, Architects. Tucker & Shields, Architects, followed until 1964, after which -- and long into retirement age for most people -- Bob practiced as Robert M. Shields, Architect. Tucker, Shields & Terry were the architects of Canlis Restaurant, an early and accessible example of the Northwest Style.
Bob designed over one hundred homes in Seattle and throughout the Northwest. Other projects included the Century 21 SkyRide terminals, the Thunderbird Restaurant and Saint Bernard Chapel at the Snoqualmie Pass ski area, the KIRO Radio & TV Station (Queen Anne) and several retail stores. One of Bob's last large projects (1977) was the Newton Place Condominium on North Capitol Hill, an excellent example of how his design philosophy evolved over his long career. For many projects he was also the interior designer.
Bob was an occasional lecturer at the UW in both the School of Architecture and of Art. He was a member Tau Sigma Delta Honorary Fraternity in Architecture and Allied Arts and was awarded the Alpha Rho Chi Medal in 1941. Some of his architectural drawings are already housed at the University Library's Special Collections Division.
Bob had many interests in his very full life. He was a member of the Seattle Art Museum's Asian Art Council and traveled extensively on their tours, as well as with other friends. He was friends and an occasional patron of many who helped shape art in the northwest, such as Zo Dusanne, Don Foster, Morris Graves, Mark Tobey and Kenneth Callahan. In the late 1940s, along with other enthusiastic potters, he was active in the Seattle Clay Club. In the 1960s he was part of the "Bonsai Bums," which evolved into the Puget Sound Bonsai Society, in which he was also active.
Having been one of the early members of the Clay Club, which formed in Seattle in 1948, Shields actively promoted craft and ceramic arts. In 1955 he attended the Archie Bray Foundation in Helena, Montana, where he befriended Peter Voulkos and other key figures of the era. Shields' friendship (and romances) with visual artists of the period helped to shape and define his architectural and design production.
Bob spent most of his life on Seattle's Capitol Hill, although over the years he also had homes on Lopez and Whidbey Islands. An avid collector, Bob filled his life with Northwest paintings, Native American art, antique Chinese porcelain and Georgian silver and glass, as well as with simple things like a special piece of driftwood or a stone worn by the tide. He enjoyed long personal and professional friendships with lighting designer Irene McGowan and with interior designer Jean Jonegeward. And, over the years Bob enjoyed antiquing and making wine with his long-time neighbor and buddy Dr. Bob Wilkus. With so many interests, it was not uncommon for "Shields," as many close friends called him, to confess from time to time that..."it got away from me." Such was the case when his bonsais, left on their own, became a forest next to the Japanese Garden he developed at his Whidbey Island home.
Bob died on Sunday, July 1, 2012, at age 95.
My published books:
BACK TO HOME PAGE