Slade School of Fine Art, University College London, Gower St, Kings Cross, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Marjorie Jewel "Marlow" Moss (29 May 1889 – 23 August 1958) was a British Constructivist artist who worked in painting and sculpture.
Born in Kilburn, she was the daughter of Lionel Moss, a master hosier and clothier, and his wife Frannie Jacobs.
In her childhood music was her one great interest, but her music studies were interrupted for years when she contracted tuberculosis. Later she turned her attention to ballet. Against the wishes of her family, she chose to pursue an artistic career, studying at the St John's Wood School of Art in 1916–17, then the Slade School of Fine Art. She changed her forename (from Marjorie) and adopted a masculine appearance in around 1919. This was precipitated by a ‘shock of an emotional nature’ and the abandonment of her studies at the Slade, to live alone in Cornwall.
In 1923, inspired by a biography of Marie Curie, she was able to return to London to study in the British Museum Reading Room, then studied sculpture at the Penzance School of Art, before taking up painting and setting up a London studio in 1926. At this point in her life she permanently adopted a masculine appearance of short hair, cravat and jodhpurs, and changed her forename to Marlow.
In 1927 she visited, and later moved to, Paris where she met her lifelong partner, the Dutch writer Antoinette Hendrika Nijhoff-Wind, the wife of the poet Martinus Nijhoff. Nijhoff described Moss as an atheist. She was a pupil of Léger and Ozenfant at the Académie Moderne, but her style was particularly influenced by Piet Mondrian. She was also acquainted with Georges Vantongerloo and Jean Gorin. In Paris she was a founder member of the Abstraction-Création association, and exhibited with the Salon des Surindépendants.
At the beginning of World War II Moss left France to live near Lamorna Cove in Cornwall, studying architecture at the Penzance School of Art. For the rest of her life she lived and worked in Cornwall, frequently visiting Paris. A neighbour, in Lamorna, described her as ″a dear little soul″ who use to give all the children of the village a Christmas present. The neighbour, when a child use to peer into her studio to watch her paint,
... we'd see her pacing up and down, pacing, pacing. And then she would draw a straight line. Her work was all straight lines and cubes. Then she'd pace up and down again and then – uh, a square would be drawn.
She joined the London branch of Group Espace and had solo exhibitions at the Hanover Gallery in 1953 and 1958. She died of cancer on 23 August 1958 in Penzance, and her ashes were scattered on the sea near Lamorna.
My published books:
BACK TO HOME PAGE