University of Cambridge, 4 Mill Ln, Cambridge CB2 1RZ
The Old Rectory, Plumtree Rd, Cotgrave, Nottingham NG12 3HT, UK
Hill House, Burgage Ln, Southwell NG25 0ER, UK
John Percy Hales DSO OBE TD (b Birstwith 7 October 1870; d Southwell 6 September 1952) was a British Anglican priest, most notably Archdeacon of Newark from 1936 to 1946.
John Percy Hales was born at Birstwith, Pateley Bridge, West Riding, Yorkshire, the youngest son of Reverend George Hales (1827-1913) and Anne Holt Horrox (1829-1892). He was educated at Winchester and Jesus College, Cambridge (admitted as a pensioner in October 1888, B.A. 1891, M.A. 1919). He was ordained deacon in Southwell in 1893 and priest in 1895. He was chaplain of Plumtree, Notts, from 1893 to 1897. In 1898 he married Augusta Margaret Cantrell-Hubbersty, daughter of Col. Albert Cantrell.
John Percy Hales was Rector of Cotgrave from 1897 to 1924; and then of Gedling from 1924 to 1937. He was chaplain to the Forces from 1913 to 1930. He was also Chaplain to 8th Sherwood Foresters from 1913 to 1922 when he became Senior Chaplain to the 46th North Midland Division. He was twice Mentioned in Despatches and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order before he became a prisoner of war in 1918. He often sent post cards to his wife Margaret, son George and daughters Aline and Helen back at the Rectory in Cotgrave. Aline worked in the Red Cross. John Percy continued in the church after the war being awarded an OBE and finishing his career as Archdeacon of Newark.
He was Hon. Canon of Southwell from 1913 to 1916 and Archdeacon of Newark from 1936 to 1946. In 1914 John Percy Hales lived in the Old Rectory (in Rectory Lane, Cotgrave) and ran a household supported by no less than six servants. In 1943 he lived at Hill House, Southwell.
Albert de Belleroche moved to Southwell, Nottinghamshire when the English coast began to be bombed during World War II, to be near his friend, J. P. Hales, Archdeacon of Newark.
My published books:
BACK TO HOME PAGE