Husband Ogden Codman, Jr.

Queer Places:
Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, 540 N Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591, Stati Uniti

Leila Griswold Webb Codman (November 12, 1856 - January 21, 1910) was born in Troy, New York. She first married Henry Walter Webb (1852-1900) in 1866 and then, on October 20, 1904, Ogden Codman, Jr. in Scarborough, NY. She died on January 21, 1910, leaving Codman a very wealthy man.

Leila Howard Griswold Codman, daughter of John Griswold of Troy, New York, was born in 1856. She married Henry Walter Webb in 1886 and bore him two children: Henry Walter Webb, Jr. and John Griswold Webb. The latter was named after his maternal grandfather John Griswold, who ran for governor of New York on the Republican ticket in the late 1860s. He was a highly successful business entrepreneur and amassed a fortune manufacturing wire. He left his daughter an inheritance of several million dollars. Leila and Henry Walter Webb resided at "Beechwood" in Scarborough, a large estate with a commanding view of the Hudson River. Her husband was the brother of G. Creighton Webb, Louis Webb, and Dr. Seward Webb, who married Eliza Osgood Vanderbilt. Henry Walter Webb was the third vice-president of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. Webb's health declined in the New York Central Railway strike in the late 1890s. He died in 1900, leaving his wife a sizeable inheritance.

Leila met Ogden Codman, Jr. through his work as an architect. He designed a house for her at 15 East 51st Street in New York City. The two were married on 20 October 1904, at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Scarborough. The simple ceremony was attended by the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts, among others. Leila and Ogden sailed the following day for Europe on the liner Cedric, and their honeymoon lasted six months. Returning the following spring, they moved into the home he had designed for her. During their six years of marriage, the couple travelled extensively in Europe and enjoyed a very close relationship. Leila died of complications following surgery on 21 January 1910.


  1.  https://www.historicnewengland.org/explore/collections-access/capobject/?refd=MS001.14