La Jolla Woman's Club, 7791 Draper Ave, La Jolla, CA 92037, Stati Uniti
Marston House Museum, 3525 7th Ave, San Diego, CA 92103, Stati Uniti
Maj. Myles Moylan House, 2214--2224 Second Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101-2020
Granger Music Hall, 1615 E 4th St, National City, CA 91950
Wildacre, 310 Ocean Ave, Newport, RI 02840
Sunnyslope Lodge, 3733 Robinson Mews, San Diego, CA 92103
Burnham-Marston House, 3563 7th Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Old Scripps Building, 8630 Discovery Way, La Jolla, CA 92037
Cossitt Cottages, 3700 8th Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Arthur & Elsa Marston Residence, 3575 7th Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Rev. Frederick & Mary Cossitt Residence, 3526 7th Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Bella Vista Terrace, 261 E Alegria Ave # 12, Sierra Madre, CA 91024
First Church of Christ Scientist, 2450 2nd Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Miltimore House, 1301 Chelten Way, South Pasadena, CA 91030
Gill Auditorium, 1350 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
The Bishop’s School, 7607 La Jolla Blvd, La Jolla, CA 92037
Pacific Electric Railroad Bridge, Bow Ave & Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90501
La Jolla Recreation Center, 615 Prospect St, La Jolla, CA 92037
Clarke Estate, 10211 Pioneer Blvd, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Horatio West Court, 140 Hollister Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90405
Americanization School, 1210 Division St, Oceanside, CA 92054
Oceanside City Hall and Fire Station (now Oceanside Museum of Art), 704 Pier View Way, Oceanside, CA 92054
Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala, 10818 San Diego Mission Rd, San Diego, CA 92108
Russell C. Allen House, 4094 Old Orchard Ln, Bonita, CA 91902
Wheeler J. Bailey House, 7964 Princess St, La Jolla, CA 92037
Nelson E. Barker House, 306 Walnut Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Adelaide M. Chapin Residence, 1326 Lucile Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90026
Anna W. Mills Apartments, 1655 W Adams Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Ella Giles Ruddy House, 241 N Western Ave, San Pedro, CA 90732
William Hunter Birckhead and Sarah King House, 144 Wapping Rd, Portsmouth, RI 02871
Blade Tribune and News building, S Tremont St & Seagaze Dr, Oceanside, CA 92054
Dominguez Land Company, Colonial Hotel and United Cigar Store buildings, 1601 Cabrillo Ave, Torrance, CA 90501
First Methodist Episcopal Church, 3233 Market St, San Diego, CA 92102
Thomas Hamilton (later Fulford) House, 3500 7th Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
I. Isaac Irwin House, 535 Date St, San Diego, CA 92101
George Kautz House, 7753 Draper Ave, La Jolla, CA 92037
Hugo Klauber House, 2626 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Melville Klauber House, 3060 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
John Kline House, 9627 Prospect Ave, Lakeside, CA 92040
Homer Laughlin House, 666 W 28th St, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Homer Laughlin, Jr. Theater and Commercial building, Pine Ave & E 4th St, Long Beach, CA 90802
Ellen Mason House (now St. Michaels Country Day School), 180 Rhode Island Ave, Newport, RI 02840
Fannie M. McKoon House, 2204 Albatross St, San Diego, CA 92101
Police Station (Oceanside Historical Society), 305 N Nevada St, Oceanside, CA 92054
Fire Station, 714 Pier View Way, Oceanside, CA 92054
William H. Porterfield cottage, 2nd Ave & Upas St, San Diego, CA 92103
W. C. Powers Duplex, 821-829 S New Hampshire Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90005
Samuel Raymond House, 2749 E Ocean Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90803
Rubbercraft Corporation of California, Hendric Rubber Co. building, 1800 W 220th St, Torrance, CA 90501
Sacred Heart Church, 655 C Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 743 Prospect St, La Jolla, CA 92037
G. W. Simmons House, 3506 Albatross St, San Diego, CA 92103
George Steckel House, 7233 Hillside Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Strong-Schlink cottage, 2104 Front St, San Diego, CA 92101
Percival Thompson House, 1156 Isabella Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
El Roi Tan Hotel, 1210 El Prado Ave, Torrance, CA 90501
Charles L. Tutt House, 1007 Ocean Blvd, Coronado, CA 92118
Rancho Barona Church, 1054 Barona Rd, Lakeside, CA 92040
Mrs. Waldo Waterman House, 237 W Hawthorn St, San Diego, CA 92101
J. W. F. White House, 626 N Arden Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004
Louis J. Wilde Duplex, 544 D Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
James Wilson and Perl Action Hotel, 1116 Prospect St, La Jolla, CA 92037
E. Milton Barber House, 108 W Robinson Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
E. Milton Barber Cottage, 3934 Third Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
J. P. Christensen Flats, 312 22nd St, San Diego, CA 92102
Mrs. F. B. Cossitt Cottage, 1106 4th St, Coronado, CA 92118
Anne B. Darst House, 502 Kalmia St, San Diego, CA 92101
Annie B. Darst Flats, 2266 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
First Lutheran Church, 1420 Third Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Irving John Gill Cottage, L St & 25th St, San Diego, CA 92102
Dr. R. Lorini Gate (or Mary C. Pratt House), 1517 Ynez Pl, Coronado, CA 92118
Ellen Scripps Cottage, 2491 Horizon Way, La Jolla, CA 92037
Anson B. Stephens House, 711 A Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
Christian Science Church, 317 Ash St, San Diego, CA 92101
McKenzie, Flint & Winsby Corp. Buildings, K St & Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Bishop's Day School, 3012 1st Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
E. F. Chase House, 205 Laurel St, San Diego, CA 92101
Mitchell House, 2720 Fourth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
Mrs. Harry Wegeforth House, 210 Maple St, San Diego, CA 92103
E. E. White House, 136 Redwood St, San Diego, CA 92103
Residence by Irving Gill, 280 Olive St, San Diego, CA 92103
Fox House, 3100 Brant St, San Diego, CA 92103
A. H. Frost House, 2456 Broadway, San Diego, CA 92102
George Garretson House, 2410 E St, San Diego, CA 92102
John Osborn House, 2073 Logan Ave, San Diego, CA 92113
William Stewart House, 942 23rd St, San Diego, CA 92102
Edith H. Hawley House, 4744 Panorama Dr, San Diego, CA 92116
Mary M. Cossitt House, 1127 Flora Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
Gail Nichols House, 750 Adella Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
St. James Chapel, 627 Genter St, La Jolla, CA 92037
Beauty Parlor, S Elena Ave, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Mason House, 2434 Langdale Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90041
Ida D. Chappell Residence, 241 Ivy St, San Diego, CA 92101
Coast Building, 7467 Girard Ave, La Jolla, CA 92037
Mary Cossitt Residence, 1710-1718 Visalia Row, Coronado, CA 92118
David K. Horton Residence, 1504 E 22nd St, National City, CA 91950
John H. Kleine Residence, 9706 Channel Rd, Lakeside, CA 92040
Mission Revival Episcopal Church, 3725 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104
Peter M. Price Residence, 1355 Granada Ave, San Diego, CA 92102
Samuel L. Wood Residence, 2424 C St, San Diego, CA 92102
ZLAC Boat House and Dock, 1111 Pacific Beach Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
Irving John Gill (April 26, 1870 – October 7, 1936), was an American architect. He did most of his work in Southern California, especially in San Diego. He is considered a pioneer of the modern movement in architecture. Twelve of his buildings throughout Southern California are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and many others are designated as historic by local governments.
Gill was born on April 26, 1870, in Tully, New York to Joseph and Cynthia Gill. His father was a farmer, and later a carpenter. As a child, Gill attended the Madison Street School in Syracuse.
By 1889, Gill was working as a draftsman under Ellis G. Hall in Syracuse. Then, in 1890, he moved to Chicago to work with Joseph Lyman Silsbee, who was Hall's partner years prior. Finally, in 1891, Gill went to Adler and Sullivan, where Frank Lloyd Wright hired him to work on his team. While there, he helped design the Transportation Building, an exhibit at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Gill would never see the end of that project, as he fell ill due to overwork. In 1893, the year of the Fair, he moved to San Diego to escape the memory of his failure.
Once in San Diego, Gill's health improved, and he began an architectural practice of his own. Though he was reported to have been working around this time, records of his projects were not well preserved.
In 1894, Gill partnered with Joseph Falkenham, who had built a successful practice of his own. The two formed a firm named "Falkenham & Gill, the Architects", and completed several projects, including some large commercial buildings.
Falkenham left San Diego in 1895, and Gill began to take on large residential projects for important figures in San Diego. He also worked on the Granger Hall for Ralph Granger, a local musician.
It the late 1890s, Gill's designs began to use concrete more heavily, and his work in that medium contributed significantly to its use in the future.
In 1896, he formed a partnership with William S. Hebbard. The Hebbard & Gill firm was known for work in the Tudor Revival and later the Prairie School styles. The George W. Marston House (now a museum) was their most famous project. In this period, Gill trained Hazel Wood Waterman who helped with a group of houses built near Balboa Park for socialites Alice Lee and Katherine Teats. Waterman later went on to become an architect with her own practice.
After California passed a law requiring architects to obtain a certificate in 1901, Gill was automatically granted a certificate because his practice was already in operation.
In 1903, Gill was appointed to a special seat on a Chamber of Commerce committee to build the U.S. Grant Hotel, which was ultimately designed by Harrison Albright, despite Hebbard & Gill's submission of designs to the committee.
In 1907, Gill was accused of unauthorized work on a sewer line, causing a clog. Gill denied the accusations, but his partnership with Hebbard was damaged beyond repair. Less than a month later, Gill entered into a partnership with Frank Mead, who had been a Hebbard & Gill employee. The partnership lasted seven months, and completed only a few houses.
Gill designed the Broadway Fountain, also known as the Electric Fountain, in 1908, for the center of Horton Plaza Park, in Downtown San Diego. Though designed in the prime of his Modernist period, its revivalist style is atypical of his work. Gill's design was chosen in a competition among professional architects, and was one of the first projects in the country to combine water and colored electrical light effects.
In 1911, Gill's nephew, Louis John Gill, joined his firm as a draftsman. That same year, Gill lost an important commission for the Panama-California Exposition (1915) to Bertram Goodhue. He did work for a time as an associate of Goodhue, including the design of the Balboa Park Administration Building, Balboa Park's first structure, which is located just outside the California Quadrangle. Today, it is known as the Gill Administration Building of the San Diego Museum of Man, and houses offices and the Gill Auditorium.
Gill was commissioned by Ellen Browning Scripps in 1913 to design the La Jolla Woman's Club. In its construction, he used a "tilt-slab" construction technique to assemble the exterior arcade walls on site. The result is California's first tilt-up concrete building. These walls integrate hollow, clay-block infill to lighten the slab's weight. For the interior walls and central "pop-up" volume, however, he employed conventional balloon-frame construction. Though Gill is often associated with the tilt-up method, he used it in only a handful of structures. Shortly thereafter, in 1914, he accepted his nephew Louis as a partner.
After this time, Gill began living and working mainly in Los Angeles County, although the Gill & Gill partnership lasted until 1919. Multiple projects for the fledgling city of Torrance may have prompted the move. Gill returned to live in North San Diego County in the 1920s, but his pace of work slowed considerably due to lingering illness, changing public tastes, and his diminishing willingness to compromise with clients. After the late 1920s, his work added Art Deco or "Moderne" touches.
In the late 1920s, Gill produced several civic buildings for the city of Oceanside, California. This would be his final large project. His last contract was to create houses for several displaced Native American families who would then settle at the Rancho Barona Indian Reservation near Lakeside, California.
Irving Gill was concerned with the social impact of good architecture and approached his projects with equal skill and interest, whether he was designing for bankers and mayors or for Indian reservations, an African American church, or migrant Mexican workers and their children.
Gill's architecture established "a new beginning in life and art" and represented a "grand rejection" of the common "architectural mise en scene from other times and places," according to historian Kevin Starr. His work was described as "cubist" in publications of the time.
Gill's interiors were concerned with removing most unnecessary detailing, partly for reasons of economy and hygiene. His houses are known for minimal or flush mouldings; simple (or no) fireplace mantles; coved, and therefore fluid, floor-to-wall transitions; enclosed-side bathtubs; plentiful skylights;, plastered walls with only occasional, but featured, wood elements; flush five-piece doors; concrete or Sorel cement floors; and a general avoidance of dividing lines, ledges, and unnecessary material changes. According to Joseph Giovannini, "the desire for an easily maintained, sanitary home drove Gill's aesthetic toward purity."
Gill's aesthetically best work, much of it dating from the 1910s, favors flat roofs without eaves, a unity of materials (mostly concrete), casement windows with transoms, white or near-white exterior and interior walls, cubic or rectangular massing, plentiful ground-level arches or series of arches creating transitional breezeways in the manner of the California missions.
His best-known work still in active use today includes the Ellen Browning Scripps residence (now the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego), the earliest buildings of The Bishop's School, the La Jolla Woman's Club, the La Jolla Recreation Center and the George W. Marston House. He designed ten churches, of which the best known is the Christian Science Church at Second and Laurel Streets in San Diego. The Woman's Club and Marston House are among those listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
Despite frequent recent references to Gill as "forgotten" or "unappreciated," he was reasonably well documented during his life. For example, his work was more frequently published in Gustav Stickley's "Craftsman" magazine than any other Western architect, including the Greene & Greene firm.
Gill's reputation did quickly fade after his death, and it languished until he was included in the 1960 book Five California Architects by Esther McCoy and Randell L. Makinson. This book (still in print) helped to renew interest in his work, and in early California architecture in general. In the decades since its publication Irving Gill has come to be recognized as a major figure in the modern movement.
On May 28, 1928, at the age of 58, Gill married for the first and only time. His wife was Marion Waugh Brashears. However, the marriage was unsuccessful, and Gill was living alone in Carlsbad, California when he died on October 7, 1936.
Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala, San Diego, CA
BACK TO HOME PAGE